Monday, March 21, 2016

The Stewarts

The Stewarts arrived in Paradise on Thursday evening.  We finished up zone conferences in Thousand Oaks and met them at the mission home.  They flew into Long Beach and rented a car.  
We were so excited to see them!

Friday morning we went to the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley.  
The original plan was for them to come the weekend before.  So glad they waited as the library was closed that weekend because of Nancy's viewing and funeral.
This man is 92 years old.  He's engraving in stone a name of a benefactor.  After doing the name he paints the lettering in gold.  He had a very steady hand.

Who would you vote for?
I think Deeners made the best point.

Air Force One is big and to see it on display was pretty incredible.  To get it into the structure it was disassembled over a nine-week period by a nine-person crew from The Boeing Company.  It was transported to the Library by truck on a specially designed trailer traveling 104 miles from San Bernardino at 11:00 p.m. to the library at 5:00 a.m.  The roof and 2 1/2 walls of the Pavilion were constructed and the plane was towed inside.  The remaining walls were built around the aircraft and The Boeing Company reassembled the plane in ten weeks.  It was then hoisted onto its pedestals and secured by its landing gear.  The painting and polishing of the plane took 5 months.  
The wingspan is 145'9"and length is 152'11".

The plane seats 52 passengers plus the Air Force crew.

We got lunch at the cafe and ate outside in the beautiful sunshine.
The memorial sight was ready for vewing and Nancy was buried just a week before.

The special exhibit.
I wondered what Catholics believed as we went through the exhibit.  There wasn't any info telling us.
  Diane and I thought we should google it but never did.

A replica of Micahelangelo's Sistine Chapel .
These flowers were so bright!

Saturday we went golfing at River Ridge in Oxnard.  Deeners was such a good sport to come and ride through the course.  I don't think her knees would have made it; although she did do some putting.  I would get the ball to the green and she did some of the putts.

I'll let you be the judge as to if the ball went in or not.

My selfie didn't show the flowers very well.

Fish tacos were on the menu for a late lunch.  We got back to the mission home and rested for a bit (well D had to still read emails) before the Utah game was on. 
It was so great they came to visit as it made us take some time away from the daily duties (except still emails).
We went to church in Oxnard and after lunch we drove to Ojai and down through Santa Paula.  Everything is so green and beautiful.
It was sad to have Rich and Diane leave this afternoon (Monday) but it's transfer planning time now and that's where our attention has to be.  We love you Stewarts!  Thanks for taking the time to visit and cause us to have some good laughs!

1 comment: