Saturday, July 19, 2014

3 weeks

I have got to figure out a way to make time to write in my journal. I was going to catch up last Sunday but we drove up north to hear Sis Dalton and were gone 7 1/2 hours.  The days are so full and by the time we are ready to go to bed we're "out."

Tuesday President and I went to Santa Barbara for interviews.  We meet Elder and 
Sis. McIntosh who are CES missionaries and who will help us out with inspecting apartments in the Santa Barbara Zone. We went to dinner with them at a restaurant on the beach.  This was the closest we've been to the beach since being here.  We drove back to Santa Barbara on Wednesday and then interviews Thursday and Friday in Ventura.  

Friday was CRAZY.  If you want more details,  call.  We exercised in the morning.  We got back and President had a message to call the mission president in the neighboring mission.  He had a missionary that took off on his bike and was thought to have come to our mission.  His brother was serving in our mission.  Long story short,  when President went to the office to meet with a very troubled missionary, the missing Elder was waiting at the office.  18 interviews were scheduled in Ventura but we had to push them back a half hour. I met him at the church in Ventura.  A family whose son/brother serving in our mission called the night before to set up a time to meet us at 4:00. They had been vacationing in Newport and driving through. Fortunately we had their number and was able to call them and tell them we wouldn't be home until 5:00. They still wanted to come by. Of course I had to show off our family picture before they could come in and sit down.  We had to leave at 6:00 to go back to the church where we would meet the 8 stake presidents and wives.  We had a nice dinner and enjoyed meeting them all.  The plan is to get to know them well. 

It's unreal that we arrived in the mission 3 weeks ago yesterday.  Maybe a better way to say it is, I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks. 

This morning I got up to make orange muffins for Dell's meeting with his counselors.  Yes,  he went out this morning and picked an orange.  Unreal
He went to the office and I baked cookies for next week's interviews. I got ready to be to the office at 10:00 for a meeting with the Assistants. That started around 10:30 and went until 3:30 with a break to go to Panda Express for lunch.  We had to see if that is where we'll take the new missionaries the day they arrive.  I'm not a fan.  That is what they've done in the past.  We have a better understanding of arrivals and transfer meeting.  I found out when visiting with companions while their companion was in interview that many of the missionaries had not seen the mission home.  I would like to make that happen. 

We got to a baptism of a 15 year old at 4:00. The mom has been less active. President encouraged the mom to get a recommend and go with her son to do baptisms for the dead.

We are at home and guess what President is doing? Emails. 

1 comment: